Basketball is definitely the number one sport that is loved by great numbers of people these days. One extremely prestigious and most-awaited basketball tournament in the world is the NBA Summer League. It is an off-season basketball tournament made possible by the National Basketball Association (NBA). A lot of certified NBA players are regularly participating in this league, but not all of the NBA teams. Yes, not all certified NBA teams that are participating in the regular season tournaments get involved in this basketball event. The truth is, NBA Summer League is not only for certified NBA players since it is also the basketball tournament that showcases a lot of rookies, unsigned free agent players, and the second year players.
In other words, the main purpose of this basketball league is to discover new basketball talents who will have the opportunity to be signed up in the regular NBA team. This is actually where Jeremy Lin was discovered by the management of the Golden State Warriors team. The NBA Summer League is divided into 3 different leagues namely the Orlando Pro Summer League, the Utah Jazz Summer League, and the Las Vegas Summer League. This basketball league has been existing for several years already, and has no organized structure like the regular NBA season. In fact, there was never been an official team winner in the league until the year 2013.
Orlando Pro Summer League
It was way back in the year 2001 when the Orlando Pro Summer League has started. This league has already declared 3 champion teams and it all started way back in the 2013 season.
2013 Orlando Pro Summer League Season
- The 2013 season of the Orlando Pro Summer League was dominated by the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- The team defeated the Houston Rockets with the scores of 85-77.
- The Championship MVP in this season was none other than Jeremy Lamb, who also happened to be League MVP.
2014 Orlando Pro Summer League Season
- The 2014 season of the Orlando Pro Summer League declared Philadelphia 76ers as the champion team.
- The team successfully defeated the team of Memphis Grizzlies, with the scores of 91-75.
- The League MVP and the Championship MVP for the 2014 season was Elfrid Payton.
2015 Orlando Pro Summer League Season
- The Memphis Grizzlies finally captured the championship title in the 2015 Orlando Pro Summer League season.
- With an Over-Time match, the team defeated the Orlando Magic (White) team with the scores of 75-73.
- Aaron Gordon was the Championship MVP in this season, and the League MVP at the same time.
Las Vegas Summer League
It was way back in the year 2004 when the Las Vegas Summer League has started. Its very first tournament was held in the arena of the University of Nevada in Las Vegas, with 6 NBA team participants. These were the Washington Wizards, Phoenix Suns, Orlando Magic, Denver Nuggets, Cleveland Cavaliers, and the Boston Celtics.
2013 Las Vegas Summer League Season
- The Golden State Warriors was the declared champion in the 2013 Las Vegas Summer League season.
- With the scores of 91-77, the team successfully crushed the team of Phoenix Suns.
- The Champion MVP of this season was Ian Clark, while the League MVP was none other than Jonas Valančiūnas.
2014 Las Vegas Summer League Season
- In this season, the Sacramento Kings did their best and declared as the champion.
- The team successfully defeated its final rival, the Houston Rockets, with the scores of 77-68.
- The Championship MVP was Ray McCallum, Jr. while the League MVP was Glen Rice, Jr.
2015 Las Vegas Summer League Season
- The San Antonio Spurs managed to become the champion in the 2015 season.
- The defeated team was the Phoenix Suns, with the scores of 93-90.
- The Championship MVP for the 2015 Las Vegas Summer League season was Jonathon Simmons, while the League MVP was Kyle Anderson.
Utah Jazz Summer League
The Utah Jazz hosted a summer basketball league from the year 1984 up to 2008. This summer basketball league was being referred to as the Rocky Mountain Revue. A lot of NBA teams have been participating in this basketball competition like the Phoenix Suns, Sacramento Kings, Portland Trail Blazers, Boston Celtics, San Antonio Spurs, Philadelphia 76ers, Los Angeles Lakers, Washington Wizards, and the Detroit Pistons. In the 2009 however, the number of participants was not enough to continue the summer league. Thus, the event was cancelled. Even so, the Utah Jazz Summer League management is eager enough to bring back the summer league into the spotlight that they revived it in the year 2015 despite the smaller number of participants.