Who would not know about NBA Playoffs by the way? Even though it is an American basketball competition, it managed to become very popular in the entire world, specially to those who are basketball lovers. In fact, a number of TV networks worldwide are broadcasting Live basketball matches of NBA playoffs. Needless to say, this basketball tournament is made possible by the National Basketball Association (NBA). But in the year 1946 up to 1949, the NBA was still known as BAA or Basketball Association of America.
In the Finals, the game will be in a best-of-seven format. In other words, the two teams that are competing in the Finals will play 7 games in case of “tie” status after the Game 6. The winner of the Western Conference and the winner of the Eastern Conference are the ones who will have a head to head match to the finals. The winning team will receive the Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy. Even so, such trophy was actually called the NBA Finals Trophy before, and then later on changed into a Walter A. Brown Trophy in the year 1964 before it is called the Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy.
Knowing All the NBA Teams that Participated in the Playoffs Then and Now
Needless to say, there are a number of team who are participating in the NBA Playoffs these days and even in the past years. These teams come from the different states and cities in the entire United States of America. Some of them are no longer active in the competition, and some members are transferring from one NBA team to another. This time, let’s get to know all those NBA teams.
- Boston Celtics – Boston Celtics was founded way back on June 6, 1946. It is currently coached by Brad Stevens. This is actually the official NBA team of Boston, Massachusetts. All in all, the team has a total of 17 wins and 4 losses.
- Los Angeles Lakers – The Los Angeles Lakers was originally known as the Minneapolis Lakers. It was the official name of the team since 1947 up to 1960. It is the official NBA team that represents Los Angeles, California. Luke Walton is its head coach. All in all, then team has a total of 16 wins and 15 losses.
- Chicago Bulls – Founded on January 16, 1966, Chicago Bulls is the official NBA team that represents Chicago, Illinois. Fred Hoiberg is coaching the team, which has a total of 6 wins in the finals and no number of losses.
- San Antonio Spurs – This is the official NBA team of San Antonio, Texas that was founded in the year 1967. However, it was in the year 1976 when the team became a regular participant in the NBA. Its coach is Gregg Popovich, and it already has 5 wins in the finals and 1 loss.
- Golden State Warriors – Founded in the year 1946, the former names of the Golden State Warriors were Philadelphia Warriors and San Francisco Warriors. It is the official NBA team of Oakland, California that is coached by Steve Kerr. All in all, the team has a total of 4 wins and 4 losses in the finals.
- Philadelphia 76ers – Currently coached by Brett Brown, the Philadelphia 76ers was founded in the year 1946. It is the official NBA team of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Originally, the team was known as Syracuse Nationals. The total number of wins of team in the NBA Finals is 3 and 6 losses.
- Detroit Pistons – Detroit Pistons is coached by Stan Van Gundy, and it was founded in the year 1941. It is the official NBA team of Detroit, Michigan. The former names of the team were Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons and Fort Wayne Pistons. The total number of the team in the NBA Finals is 3 and 4 losses.
- Miami Heat – This NBA team was founded in the year 1988, and it is coached by Erik Spoelstra. Miami Heat is the team that represents Miami, Florida. It has a total of 3 wins in the NBA Finals and 2 losses.
- New York Knicks – It was in the year 1946 when New York Knicks was founded. This official NBA team of New York City, New York is coached by Jeff Hornacek. Its total number of wins in the NBA Finals is 2 and 6 losses.
- Houston Rockets – Founded in the year 1967, the Houston Rockets was formerly known as San Diego Rockets. The head coach of the team is Mike D’Antoni, and it is the official NBA team that represents Houston, Texas. It has a total of 2 wins in the finals and 2 losses.
- Atlanta Hawks – Founded in the year 1946, the former names of Atlanta Hawks were Tri-Cities Blackhawks, Milwaukee Hawks, and St. Louis Hawks. The team is coached by Mike Budenholzer, and it represents Atlanta, Georgia. The Atlanta Hawks has 1 win and 3 losses in the NBA Finals.
- Washington Wizards – The Washington Wizards is representing Washington, D.C. in the NBA Playoffs. It was founded in 1961, and its former names were Chicago Packers, Chicago Zephyrs, Baltimore Bullets, Capital Bullets, and Washington Bullets. It has a total of 1 win and 3 losses in the NBA Finals.
- Oklahoma City Thunder – Founded in 1967, the Oklahoma City Thunder was formerly called Seattle SuperSonics. It is coached by Billy Donovan, and it represents Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The team has a total of 1 win and 3 losses in the NBA Finals.
- Cleveland Cavaliers – It was in 1970 when Cleveland Cavaliers was founded, and it is coached by Tyronn Lue. This team represents Cleveland, Ohio. It has a total of 1 win and 2 losses in the finals.
- Portland Trail Blazers – Portland Trail Blazers is representing Portland, Oregon that was founded in the year 1970. It is coached by Terry Stotts, and the team’s records in the NBA Finals are 1 win and 2 losses.
- Milwaukee Bucks – The team was founded in the year 1968, and it is coached by Jason Kidd. The Milwaukee Bucks is representing Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It has a total of 1 win and 1 loss in the NBA Finals.
- Dallas Mavericks – Founded in the year 1980, Dallas Mavericks is representing Dallas Texas. It is coached by Rick Carlisle, and it has a record of 1 win and 1 loss in the NBA Finals.
- Baltimore Bullets – It was in the year 1944 when Baltimore Bullets was founded. It represented Baltimore, Maryland. The team was folded way back on November 27, 1957 with its NBA record of 1 win and 0 loss.
- Sacramento Kings – Founded in the year 1948, the former names of Sacramento Kings were Rochester Royals, Cincinnati Royals, Kansas City-Omaha Kings, and Kansas City Kings. It is currently coached by Dave Joerger, and it represents Sacramento, California. It has a record of 1 win and 0 loss.
These are just the teams that made it to the NBA Finals and managed to win. Some other teams that were able to participate in the said prestigious basketball competition in the United States were Phoenix Suns, New Orleans/Utah Jazz, New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets, Orlando Magic, Chicago Stags, Washington Capitols, Indiana Pacers, Buffalo Braves/San Diego/Los Angeles Clippers, Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies, Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets, Denver Nuggets, New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans, Toronto Raptors, and Minnesota Timberwolves.
If you want to know the champion teams in the different years in NBA Playoffs, the consider the following information:
1947 – Philadelphia Warriors 1991 – Chicago Bulls
1948 – Baltimore Bullets 1992 – Chicago Bulls
1949 – Minneapolis Lakers 1993 – Chicago Bulls
1950 – Minneapolis Lakers 1994 – Houston Rockets
1951 – Rochester Royals 1995 – Houston Rockets
1952 – Minneapolis Lakers 1996 – Chicago Bulls
1953 – Minneapolis Lakers 1997 – Chicago Bulls
1954 – Minneapolis Lakers 1998 – Chicago Bulls
1955 – Syracuse Nationals 1999 – San Antonio Spurs
1956 – Philadelphia Warriors 2000 – Los Angeles Lakers
1957 – Boston Celtics 2001 – Los Angeles Lakers
1958 – St. Louis Hawks 2002 – Los Angeles Lakers
1959 – Boston Celtics 2003 – San Antonio Spurs
1960 – Boston Celtics 2004 – Detroit Pistons
1961 – Boston Celtics 2005 – San Antonio Spurs
1962 – Boston Celtics 2006 – Miami Heat
1963 – Boston Celtics 2007 – San Antonio Spurs
1964 – Boston Celtics 2008 – Boston Celtics
1965 – Boston Celtics 2009 – Los Angeles Lakers
1966 – Boston Celtics 2010 – Los Angeles Lakers
1967 – Philadelphia 76ers 2011 – Dallas Mavericks
1968 – Boston Celtics 2012 – Miami Heat
1969 – Boston Celtics 2013 – Miami Heat
1970 – New York Knicks 2014 – San Antonio Spurs
1971 – Milwaukee Bucks 2015 – Golden State Warriors
1972 – Los Angeles Lakers 2018 – Cleveland Cavaliers
1973 – New York Knicks
1974 – Boston Celtics
1975 – Golden State Warriors
1976 – Boston Celtics
1977 – Portland Trail Blazers
1978 – Washington Bullets
1979 – Seattle SuperSonics
1980 – Los Angeles Lakers
1981 – Boston Celtics
1982 – Los Angeles Lakers
1983 – Philadelphia 76ers
1984 – Boston Celtics
1985 – Los Angeles Lakers
1986 – Boston Celtics
1987 – Los Angeles Lakers
1988 – Los Angeles Lakers
1989 – Detroit Pistons
1990 – Detroit Pistons